The Visualization Framework was developed in a cooperation between the University of Stuttgart and the DFKI. The highly customizable web-based open-source framework allows to connect to different web services, and to analyze the data with a large variety of interactive visualizations that are connected via brushing and linking. The web-based applications created with the framework run on multiple devices such as smartphones, tablets, desktop computers and large display walls.
An interactive live demo can be found here: https://github.com/cimplex-project/visualization-framework
A interactive live demo can be found here: https://cimplex-project.github.io/cimplex-globe.
The GLEAMViz web service hosts simulation data in various formats. All of them contain compressed binary data for fast data exchange and that needs to be decoded on the client in order to be processed and visualized. By using parallel data processing the decoding time can be greatly reduced. Thus,the library offers decoders for GLEAMViz from ISI and agent based model datasets from ISI and FBK, including movement data from the DFKI.
We also have developed a configurator application that tremendously reduces the time to configure and deploy a custom version of the visualization framework including all data and simulation services. Based on a web page URL, a user is now able to select, which views, data and simulation services he wants to include in his custom deployment. The server backend then creates a unique executable file depending on the selections, and offers it for downloading. The downloaded executable, based on node.js and Docker, then fully automatically installs all dependencies, including data and simulation services, locally on the client machine. By using Docker, the installation is isolated and does not affect or modify the client host system. The configurator creates executables for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
- Title: Bringing of Citizen, model and Data together in Participatory, Interactive Social Exploratories
- Run Time: 01.01.2015 – 31.12.2017
- FET Proactive Global Systems Science (GSS)
- Grant agreement no: 641191
- Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH, Germany
- Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich, Switzerland
- Universität Stuttgart, Germany
- University College London, United Kingdom
- Közép-európai Egyetem (Central European University), Hungary
- Fondazione Istituto per l’Interscambio Scientifico, Italy
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Italy
- Fondazione Bruno Kessler, Italy
- Video Globe